The pear body shape is the most common figure among women. If you have wide hips and narrow shoulders, you’re probably a pear.
If you’re looking to slim down your bottom and thighs, you’ll want to accentuate your upper half – the shoulders and waist – with tops that have embellishments or bold patterns.
Find women's tops and jackets that will show off your slender upper body while creating a fuller illusion at the right places to achieve that balance with the larger hips.
- Large V or U-necks
- Horizontal stripes
- Big lapels
- Padding or embellishments on shoulders
- Cropped tops
- Tops and jackets with decorative patterns that cut off at the bottom
- Shapeless tops
Focus on women's pants and skirts that minimize your lower half, either by slimming or elongation. Darker colours and clean, straight lines are ideal.
- Wide-leg or straight-leg pants and jeans
- A-line skirts that are fitted at the hips
- Darker colours
- Pencil skirts which cling at the hips
- Bottoms made of stiffer materials
- Capri-style pants
Almost any heel is an asset to lengthen your figure by reducing the difference between your hips and shoulders.
- Heels to lengthen your figure
- Peep-toe shoes
- Boots that cut off just under the knee
- Extremely high heels
- Pointy flats rather than rounded styles
- Low-cut boots
Tops with thick or wide-set straps are particularly good for elongating the shoulders.
Triangle tops, as well as ruffles or embellishments visually balance out the heavier bottom half.
Mix-and-match bikinis with a lighter top and darker bottom to draw attention to the upper body.
Tying a sarong around your waist can also minimise your hips and thighs.