A Fashion Buyer: A Little Bit About Anna, Buyer for Shirts & Knitwear
Have you always loved clothes? Did you ever aspire to be a fashion buyer? Read on to find out how Anna became one of our fashion buyers at EziBuy.
I touched base with the fashion buyer for Shirts and Knitwear and I now have (and you now have!) got the inside scoop on what the trends and colours will be in come Autumn 2017. Lucky Anna gets to travel around the world researching and buying and in February she’s back off to Los Angeles but first: let’s get to know a little bit more about her and what the trends are for Autumn/Winter 17.
How did you become a fashion buyer? I started as a production assistant at my first job, then was a production manager, a design assistant, store manager and buyer for their first flagship store. So I really grew into the job with my previous employer.
Tell us about your background… where have you worked in the past? I worked for Jane Daniels Ltd for 10 years. We manufactured in New Zealand so I was able to learn the trade the old fashioned way. I spent loads of time with traditionally trained pattern makers, sample machinists, cutters, fusers, machinists and pressers.
What do you do at EziBuy?
I’m part of the womenswear buying team with a focus on knitwear and shirts.
What’s your favourite part of buying apparel?
My favourite part of my job is seeing customers looking and feeling great in styles we have bought. It’s incredibly rewarding to know our ideas end up in peoples wardrobes and most importantly, make them feel great!
If you had to choose a fabric to wear for the rest of your life between Cotton or Linen, which one would you pick and why?
Cotton, as it’s such a versatile fibre! It can be knitted into beautiful fine knitwear or textured knits, it can be woven into light cool cotton voiles, drill pants or jersey dresses. Or it can be turned into crisp cotton shirts or washed back vintage inspired shirts or denim. Cotton pretty much covers everything!
Where do you get inspiration from?
We get inspiration from our customers, on the street and from overseas trends. The high end international brands give great inspiration to us ‘real people’. It’s great because they show inspiration how to mix prints, create new silhouettes, different colour combinations and from there generate the desire/requirement for a new wardrobe every season!
Personally, what are your favourite international brands?
I love Etro, Marni, Dries Van Noten, Prada, Lagerfield. They’re all true design houses, creating something beautiful from an idea or ‘moment’ and their ideas trickle down to the high street.
When you are buying, what are the three most important things you look at for our customers? Colour, Quality and Fit. Knitwear for example; the first part of the process is to start with our colour palette, from there we select yarns, then we select our styles. It is important that we have a variety of different styles for our customers to choose from, as we all come in different shape and sizes. Not every size 14 has the same measurements or suits the same things.
Are you able to give us an insight into Autumn/Winter 17 trends?
– This upcoming Autumn season is all about mixing things up, creating texture! Metallics in prints, knits and pleated skirts, romantic ruffles and leather jackets.
– Sweatshirt dressing has evolved from the ‘Activewear craze’. We’ve sourced some gorgeous texture stretch knits and have put them into versatile tops, suitable for the office or the weekend.
– For Autumn, navy is challenging black to be the foundation of our wardrobe and we know our customers love the crisp navy and white combination. Plus gorgeous tones of marmalade and sapphire look new and fresh with white jeans.
– Conversational prints are key. The classic animal print continues to be huge and ageless.
– We’re launching a beautiful 100% cashmere range in Grace Hill.
– Winter moves in to luxe velvet, beading, lace and jacquards. Paired back with gorgeous cotton shirts in every shape, so one to suit everyone!
– Colours for winter have softened but are remaining rich. Guava, Berry, Rosewood, Camel, Copper and Mulberry create beautiful new colour combinations and are a great reason to treat yourself to something new!
Let us know in the comments below if you have any feedback. We’d love to know what you think about the trends we are predicting!
Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need.