EziBuy Book Club Easy Reads: Victoria by Daisy Goodwin
Looking for a new book to read? Join ‘Easy Reads’, the EziBuy Book Club and get new books selected for you each month. This month, it’s Victoria by Daisy Goodwin.
In the book Victoria, Daisy Goodwin has beautifully captured the English day in 1837 when an 18 year old Alexandrina transforms from being a secluded puppet, controlled by her mother and Sir Thomas Conroy within the four walls of her nursery, into a woman who arguably became England’s greatest Queen.
The intricate and cunning plot to integrate German royalty with the British, the scene of potential revolt against the Queen of England as the public began to turn against their monarchy, and the demise of the manipulative Sir Thomas Conroy are illustrated with such clarity that the narrative pulls you into the plot of the Queen’s complicated reign as though you’re in the book itself.
We are, on top of all that, offered a realistic insight into the growing love between the Queen and her Prime Minister, and when her cousin Albert of Denmark is thrown at her to be her husband you turn every page hoping that the Queen has the happy ending you feel yourself vouching for throughout.
“They think I am still a little girl who is not capable of being a Queen.” Lord Melbourne turned to look at Victoria. “They are mistaken. I have not known you long, but I observe in you a natural dignity that cannot be learnt. To me, ma’am, you are every inch a Queen.”
We have 10 x copies of the book to giveaway! It’s easy to win, just sign up to the Life & Style Your Way weekly newsletter to go in the draw. Every week we round up what’s been happening on the blog – from homeware edits, festive summer dressing, fashion trends you need to know about or tips for staying sane this Christmas. It’s a great way to stay informed with what we’ve been up to!
Anyone is able to participate by commenting below, or by using the hashtag #easyezireads on social media.
[toggle title=’Click here for VICTORIA by Daisy Goodwin Easy Reads Book Club Questions‘]
Respond to our Book Club questions in the comments section below:
1.Why did you, or didn’t you, think that Queen Victoria should have been allowed to marry the man who she loved? 2.You might argue that on her 18th birthday she was allotted her freedom as she finally escaped her mother and Conroy, but in what ways was Queen Victoria never really free? 3.In what ways did you think Conroy was doing what was best for his country with his behavior towards the Queen and her mother, or do you think that he was manipulative and if so then why 4.Did you have sympathy for Lord Melbourne and the loss of his philandering wife? If so, or if not, then why? 5.In what ways was the Queen Mother a good and a bad mother to Victoria?
Let us know what you think in the comments below or comment on social media with the hashtag #easyezireads [/toggle]
LIKE A QUEEN
Competition Terms & Conditions
– Information produced by us on how to enter the competition and prizes for the competition form part of these terms. By entering the competition, you are deemed to accept these terms.
– Entry is open to all Australian and New Zealand residents, except employees or immediate family members of employees of the EziBuy Group.
– To enter the draw to win one of ten copies of ‘Victoria by Daisy Goodwin let us know your name and email address by completing our entry form on Life & Style Your Way. By completing the entry form you are signing up to our newsletter.
– Competition ends at midnight [AEST / NZT] 18 December 2016
– 10 prize winners will be randomly selected by EziBuy based on chance on 19 December 2016.
– 10 x prize winners will receive the book via post.
– Our determination of the prize winners will be final and binding, and no correspondence or other communication will be entered into.
– Delivery of the prize within New Zealand or Australia will be free of charge.
– Prizes are not transferable, exchangeable nor redeemable for cash or credit note.
– The prize winner will be notified via email.
– The failure by a prize winner to claim the prize before 5pm 22 December 2016 will result in their prize being forfeited.
– We will not be liable for any loss, damage or injury (including but not limited to any indirect or consequential loss) suffered or incurred by you (or any other person) as a result of or in connection with the competition or any prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
– We reserve the right, in our sole discretion and at any time, to replace or amend these terms or to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition.
– You authorise us to collect and hold personal information, to be used to conduct the competition and for future promotional purposes. You understand that you have a right of access to, and may request correction of, personal information held by us about you, which you may exercise by contacting us at email@example.com. Failure to provide the personal information requested on the entry form will result in the entry being invalid.
– The Promoter is EziBuy Limited, Level 4, The Textile Centre, 1 Kenwyn Street, Parnell, Auckland 1052, New Zealand. Tel 0508 500 500 (from within NZ) or 1800 148 148 (from within Australia). ABN 13 398 168 301. Authorised under permit numbers: NSW: LTPM/15/00633; ACT: TP 15/06333.
Post Views: 98
Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.