Warm, snuggly coats have to be one of the biggest upsides when it comes to winter fashion. This is one instance where we can definitely claim that it’s what’s on the outside that counts!
While winter coats need to cover off all the practicalities of being warm and well-fitting over the top of your winter garments, that doesn’t mean they can’t make a style statement in it’s own right. What’s great is that this season we see styles that accommodate all body shapes and sizes. In particular we love that we’re seeing more and more statement pieces appearing on the racks of plus size clothing, so why not make this the season that you step out of your comfort zone and try something a little different for winter.
Winter coats or jackets are generally an investment piece that you want to last you through the season and beyond. You also want something that will work perfectly with a range of outfits. Therefore choosing a winter jacket is not a choice that should be taken lightly! It can be easy to simply go for something practical, even if means looking like you’ve stepped out in a sleeping bag. But, really, where’s the fun in playing it safe?! This season, opt for a snug yet super stylish statement jacket instead.
What’s in store for winter?
Here’s what you need to think about when looking for the perfect piece for your winter wardrobe:
- Military styles are back on the scene and commanding attention. Their tailored, sophisticated fit is more versatile than you may think. They really smarten up a jean-and-sneaker combo, or can be dressed up for a cute evening outfit.
- Length-wise you’ll be reasonably spoilt for choice in military styles. If full-length feels a little full-on, try a midi style. They look chic when teamed with tailored trousers, a turtleneck and fuss-free leather boots.
- Long, simple lines seem to be the go for a more office-friendly outfit this season. Pair with tailored pants and simple heels to lengthen out your look.
- Double breasted is back, but boxier single button tailored jackets are still featuring heavily. Consider a peacoat as another boxier look that is right on-trend this season. However, if you’re going for boxy or oversized, make the rest of your outfit tailored and neat to balance it out.
- Colour can absolutely be your friend when it comes to picking out a coat this winter. It’s an opportunity to inject a burst of colour in an otherwise dull season. Burgundy is definitely a hue on the rise for these colder months.
- Fabrics may vary but what they all have in common is texture. Don’t be afraid to mix and match textures here to add some interest – think fur, leather, suede, wool and more.
- Details help to break up monochromatic looks – this is where the military trend really shines. Gold or bronze lapel or sleeve buttons, braiding or simple piping add intrigue or glamour or an otherwise simple silhouette.
- Never say no to bling! It can be hard to go past the versatility of black or grey coats over winter, but take things up a notch with embellishments such as studs or embroidery. Stitch detailing or panels will also add interest to a simple wool coats.
- Bold prints go well with a classic jean and boot combo – simple on the bottom and statement up top! Animal prints may feel intimidating at first, but you’ll be standing out for all the right reasons this season.
So, are you prepared to make a grand entrance this winter? A statement jacket doesn’t need to be as scary as it sounds! Chosen well, your coat or jacket will end up being one of your most-loved pieces of the season. They’re already hitting stores and heading out the doors just as quick, so don’t miss out – get searching for your perfect winter coat now.