With the weather cooling down and the evenings becoming darker, it’s time to begin pulling out some deliciously decadent treats to enjoy on those chilly Winter evenings – and chocolate is right up there as a key ingredient!
And what better way to indulge in a devilish chocolate treat than with a piece (or two) or this decadent S’mores slice.
Imagine a smooth vanilla biscuit base that crumbles into your mouth as you bite into it, topped with a layer of fudgy milk chocolate, and finished with a generous helping of homemade marshmallow that’s been lightly toasted under the grill. Sounds good right?
The best part? This recipe goes a long way – you’ll either get 16 bars (as pictured) or a whopping 48 squares from this recipe.
Enjoy a piece of this decadent slice along with a nice, big mug of tea – this gorgeous Tulum mug is the perfect size to wash down all that chocolate, and it’s gorgeous to boot!
- 375g (1.5 packets) vanilla wine biscuits
- 225g butter, melted
- 500g milk chocolate
- 375g (1 can) condensed milk
- 500g caster sugar
- 4 tsp glucose
- 2 Tbsp gelatine
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Line 30x20cm lamington pan with baking paper.
- Place biscuits in food processor and pulse to a fine crumb. Add melted butter and pulse until well combined.
- Tip crumb mixture into prepared pan and press into an even layer. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Break chocolate into small pieces and place in medium saucepan. Add condensed milk.
- Gently warm over medium-low heat, mixing continuously, until smooth and combined.
- Pour chocolate mixture over base and spread into an even layer. Set aside.
- Set oven to grill and preheat to 180 degrees Celsius. Place 200ml of water in a bowl and sprinkle with gelatine. Set aside.
- Place sugar, glucose and 200ml of water in a large saucepan. Place on low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium-high and insert sugar thermometer. Boil for 3-5 minutes until the mixture reaches 120 degrees Celsius.
- Remove from heat and carefully add gelatine mixture. Whisk until gelatine dissolves and no lumps remain.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and beat with whisk attachment on high until foamy. Gradually add hot sugar syrup while mixing.
- Continue to beat on high until white and glossy – about 5 min with stand mixer, 10 with hand mixer.
- Pour over prepared slice and spread to edges. Place pan in oven and grill until just golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to set at room temperature overnight. Slice into bars of squares. Store in an airtight container.