Salted caramel is everywhere you look at the moment – from the menus at fancy restaurants to gourmet grocery stores and even the freezer at your local supermarket. There’s just something about it that everyone seems to love.
So why not impress your family and friends with a delicious homemade salted caramel treat? These chocolate and salted caramel tartlets make the perfect show-stopping dessert and are guaranteed to go down a treat with salted caramel fans – they’re just delicious.
There’s no denying these tartlets are a rather decadent treat. The lightly flavoured chocolate shell is filled with rich homemade salted caramel before being topped with milk chocolate ganache and a sprinkling of salt. Gooey yet firm, sweet yet salty, these tartlets really are something special.
While there are a few different steps to this recipe, most of the time actually goes into resting, baking or setting the tartlets – the actual recipe itself is pretty simple and quick to make.
The finished tartlets are absolutely incredible – and absolutely decadent! With this in mind, try cutting each tartlet in half before serving alongside a little whipped cream – not only will this mean every plate will be licked clean, but the recipe will serve eight people!
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 140g butter, softened
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 85g butter, cubed
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp cream, room temperature
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Milk chocolate ganache
- 200g milk chocolate
- ½ cup cream
- Cream together butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla, and mix until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Divide dough into four and press into greased tartlet pan. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Prick base of tartlet shells with fork. Place shells in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Place sugar in a large pot and melt over medium-high heat, whisking as it melts. Cook until sugar reaches an amber colour.
- Add butter. Stir until melted and combined.
- Add cream and whisk until smooth. If lumps occur, continue to stir caramel over a low heat until lumps melt.
- Carefully pour caramel into prepared tartlet shells. Place in fridge to chill.
Milk chocolate ganache
- Place chocolate and cream in a small pot over medium heat and leave for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly stir, beginning from the centre. Continue until combined, smooth and glossy.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Spoon over tartlets and sprinkle with rock salt if desired.
- Place in fridge for 3-4 hours or until caramel is firm.