Do you have a lemon tree absolutely packed with fruit at the moment? Then this recipe for lemon and oat crumble slice should be right up your alley – not only will it use some of the fruit, but it’s so good you’ll end up making it over and over again!
This slice is one of my favourite recipes – it’s ‘out-of-this-world’ delicious. Imagine a chewy oat base topped with a layer of lemony condensed milk and finished with a generous helping of crumbled oat mixture, then baked. And it tastes as good as it sounds!
What makes this slice even better is that the same mixture is used for both the base and crumble topping, so there’s not as much work involved as it might appear. The base itself needs to be baked for 15 minutes before any of the toppings are added, which gives you the perfect window to get the delicious condensed milk filling ready.
By the way, the filling is so good you’ll want to eat it by the spoonful! Enjoy.
Base & topping
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oats
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup golden granulated sugar
- ½ cup light muscovado sugar
- 170g butter, melted
- 395g sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line a 25x15cm pan with non-stick foil.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, rolled oats and baking soda until well combined.
- Add golden granulated (or white) and light muscovado (or brown) sugar and stir well.
- Add melted butter and mix until well combined.
- Turn half mixture into prepared pan and press into an even base. Set remaining aside for topping.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Lemon filling & topping
- In a medium bowl combine condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk until well combined and lemon juice no longer sits separately to condensed milk.
- Add egg yolks and mix until well combined.
- Pour onto baked base, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture until well coated.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden. Place on heat-proof board in fridge to cool for approx. one hour before slicing. Store in the fridge.