It’s easy to see why kids love jelly – it’s bright, colourful and as fun to eat as it is to wobble! But unless you can sit down with a bowl and spoon it’s not the easiest thing to eat – that’s where this jelly and biscuit slice comes in.
This recipe combines all the best things about jelly and slice into one awesome treat. The plain biscuit base grounds two fabulously wobbly layers – creamy condensed milk and (of course) bright and beautiful jelly!
Despite the layered appearance of this slice looking a little complex, it’s actually really simple to prepare – it’s just a matter of letting each layer set before adding the next. The trick is making sure you leave enough time between each layer for the slice to set completely. If it’s not quite set the condensed milk and jelly layers will blend where they meet and not hold up once sliced.
This is one of my favourite slices to make for parties where you need your food to have a pop of colour – try using pink or blue jelly for a baby shower, green for a jungle party, or yellow for a sunny summer look.
Once it’s set, the slice is firm enough to stack up beautifully on a cake stand like this gorgeous La Gateau pedestal stand or piled up in this beautiful Decor Bon Bon footed bowl – poke little cupcake toppers into the slice for extra wow!
- 200g butter, melted
- 250g plain biscuits
- 5 tsp gelatine (to be used as 3 tsp + 2 tsp)
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 395g can condensed milk
- 1 packet jelly
- Grease and line a slice pan with baking paper. I use an 18cm x 25cm tin, but any tin with reasonably high sides will do.
- Place biscuits in a food processor and pulse to a fine crumb. Add melted butter and pulse until well combined. Press mixture into base of prepared tin and place in fridge.
- Pour boiling water into a small bowl and sprinkle with 3 tsp gelatine. Stir until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, pour together condensed milk and lemon juice. Add gelatine mixture and stir until well combined. Pour over prepared base and place in fridge for one hour or until set.
- In a medium bowl, prepare jelly as per the instructions on the packet. Once mixed, add remaining 2 tsp gelatine and stir until well combined. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, pour jelly over slice and place in fridge until set (approx. one hour). Once set, slice into squares using a warm knife. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.