With winter fast approaching and with such wild weather happening recently we thought it would be a good idea to bring you a healthy winter warmer recipe to see you through the cold.
This lentil, sweet potato and coconut soup from Jamie Oliver is a delicious and healthy way to curb your carb cravings. It uses seasonal vegetables and also happens to be gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and seriously delicious! A definite Healthy Winter Warmer!
Many of the ingredients used in this recipe also have amazing health properties. Lentils and sweet potato help regulate blood sugar levels; they are complex carbohydrates so they take longer to digest thereby releasing energy slower than other carbohydrates. They are also both high in soluble fibre which can lower your cholesterol and improve heart health. Coconut milk, sweet potatoes, garlic, and chilli contain high levels of vitamin C which boosts immune systems, accelerates healing, and produces collagen which helps with anti ageing. Garlic contains high levels of antioxidants and cumin has free radical scavenging abilities both of which contribute to fighting the signs of ageing. Coriander has strong anti-histamine properties which help alleviate the symptoms of hay fever and other seasonal allergies and garlic has been proven to reduce the duration of colds and flu.
With so many amazing health benefits this recipe is well worth a try!
- 750 g sweet potatoes
- 2 red onions
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 fresh red chilli
- ½ a bunch of fresh coriander
- 125 g red lentils
- 1 litre organic vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 ml tin of light coconut milk
- 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 2cm chunks, then peel and cut the onions into 2cm-thick wedges.
- Place in a roasting tray in an even layer and sprinkle over the cumin seeds, ground coriander and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Drizzle with oil, then toss to coat. Pop in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cooked and golden.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, then finely slice the chilli. Pick the coriander leaves and set aside, then finely slice the stalks.
- Place a large saucepan over a medium-low heat and pour in a lug of oil. Sauté the garlic, chilli and coriander stalks for a minute, until lightly golden.
- Add the red lentils to the pan. Stir to coat, then pour in the hot stock and coconut milk.
- Turn up the heat, gently bring it to the boil, then let it come to a simmer. Cook the lentils for 20 minutes, or until they are completely broken down.
- When the veggies are ready, remove from the oven and carefully spoon into the pan. Add most of the coriander leaves, then blitz the soup with a stick blender until it’s creamy but still has a little texture.
- Squeeze in some lemon juice to taste and adjust the seasoning if need be. Serve the hot soup topped with the remaining coriander leaves and toasted coconut shavings, if you like.
Do you have a favourite Healthy Winter Warmer Soup you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below. Shop our EziBuy Kitchen & Dining Range now!