One of the most overlooked things about tea is how many ways you can use it across all sorts of edible treats – think tea infused jam, cupcakes, loaves and biscuits! All you need to do is find the right tea and work out which other flavours to team the tea up with.
One of my favourite teas to both drink and bake with is Early Grey. Because Earl Grey tea is blended with bergamot oil (which comes from a bergamot orange) it’s perfect for teaming up with other light citrus flavours – like the lemon used in these delish Earl Grey & lemon biscuits!
A twist on a basic sugar cookie, these Earl Grey & lemon tea biscuits are a must-try for any tea lover. Lightly ground Earl Grey tea gives the biscuits a beautifully light, yet totally distinctive flavour, while a little fresh lemon zest brings a little punch to the mix. Each biscuit is topped with a light, lemon icing and sprinkled with just a touch of Earl Grey tea.
The best thing is they are really simple to make – and you probably have the ingredients already sitting in your pantry (if not, pick up some of this delicious Earl Grey tea and get baking!)
Not only are the biscuits themselves deliciously flavoursome and light, but they store beautifully so you can tuck them away in an airtight container and enjoy them throughout the week. With a cup of tea, of course!
Makes approx. 48 medium biscuits.
- 115g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp Earl Grey tea, lightly ground
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp Earl Grey tea, to decorate
- Place butter and sugar in a medium bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, Earl Grey tea and lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Add flour and baking powder. Mix until a dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide dough in half and shape into balls. Roll in cling film and place in fridge for 30-45 minutes.
- Once chilled, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Roll dough out to approx. ½ cm thick on a lightly flowered bench. Cut into desired shapes and place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray slightly before placing on cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, combine icing sugar, lemon juice and water. Mix until well combined. Add additional icing sugar if required to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- Spread a small amount of icing on top of each biscuit. Sprinkle with Earl Grey tea.