Caramel slice is one of those decadent treats that’s sure to please even the most discerning member of your family – what’s not to love about a rich, creamy piece of fresh caramel slice? The trickiest thing is finding a recipe that lives up to expectations.
That’s where this recipe comes in – it really is something special. Every part of the slice is carefully crafted into something special – even the base! All too often slice bases are dull, relying too much on the topping to turn them into something special.
But this recipe sees the base packed with toasted coconut and brown sugar, and even a dash of ginger to give it extra punch. Top that off with a layer of smooth and creamy caramel and the topping is – well, chocolate!
Despite involving a couple of different steps (and bowls!) this is a simple recipe well worth giving a go. While you have to toast your own coconut, bake the slice in two stages and chill ganache the finished product is well worth the effort involved.
I find this treat is best served along with a glass of freshly brewed tea, so why not enjoy it your very own personalised tea? It comes in a range of different tins depending on the occasion, so would make the perfect gift – or treat for yourself! I can’t wait to lay my hands on a tin of this stuff – perfect!
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 190g butter, melted
- 1 2/3 cups plain flour
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 395g sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 75g butter
- 200g milk chocolate
- ½ cup cream
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line slice tin
- Toast coconut in dry frying pan over medium heat until lightly golden. Stir frequently to avoid burning
- In a large bowl, beat together melted butter, flour, brown sugar and ginger. Add coconut and mix until well combined.
- Press mixture into prepared slice tin and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until beginning to brown on top.
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over low heat until everything has melted, stirring constantly.
- Once combined, remove from heat and pour over baked base.
- Return to oven and bake for a further 15-20 minutes, or until caramel begins to bubble and turn golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in tin.
- Place chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and leave for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly begin to whisk from the centre. Continue to stir until everything is combined and ganache is glossy and smooth.
- Place in fridge until firm and spreadable.
- Once slice has cooled, spread the top with ganache and leave to set in the fridge.