Looking for a new book to read? Join ‘Easy Reads’, the EziBuy Book Club and get new books selected for you each month.
Annabel Abbs has given a voice to the dancing muse of the controversial Irish author James Joyce. Set in France in the late 1920s, Lucia Joyce dreams of dancing professionally and performing under dazzling lights on the Parisian stage, as an elated audience shout out her name and throw her bouquets. Only, to her misfortune, she is forever hidden away behind her father’s success and his power of manipulative persuasion.
Flitting between the psychoanalyst’s office at the Küsnacht sanatorium where Lucia is confined, her earlier life in Paris, and unsettling time in London, we learn of her sordid childhood memories and watch her decline into an erratic supposed state of schizophrenia.
The family secrets soon start to spill, and with the immeasurable pressures placed upon her from both mother and father she soon finds her own opinion and voice. As she relishes in the idea of escaping the confines of her family name and household secrets, we see the ease in which Lucia, subject to living in a society dominated by men, can be silenced and removed as if never there.
You can purchase the book from any good book store or win a copy below.
Would you like to join the Easy Reads Book Club? We have 10 copies of The Joyce Girl to giveaway thanks to Hachette NZ! Sign up to the Easy Reads mailing list to go in the draw.
Signed up already? No worries, consider yourself already in the draw!
Our modern day Joyce Girl Outfit
Anyone is able to participate by commenting below, or by using the hashtag #easyezireads on social media.
Terms & Conditions
- Information produced by us on how to enter the competition and prizes for the competition form part of these terms. By entering the competition, you are deemed to accept these terms.
- Entry is open to all Australian and New Zealand residents, except employees or immediate family members of employees of the EziBuy Group.
- To enter the draw to win one of ten copies of ‘The Joyce Girl’, let us know your name and email address by completing our entry form on Life & Style Your Way.
- Competition ends at midnight [AEST / NZT] 21 September 2016.
- 10 prize winners will be randomly selected by EziBuy based on chance on 22 September 2016.
- 10 x prize winners will receive ‘The Joyce Girl’ via post.
- Our determination of the prize winners will be final and binding, and no correspondence or other communication will be entered into.
- Delivery of the prize within New Zealand or Australia will be free of charge.
- Prizes are not transferable, exchangeable nor redeemable for cash or credit note.
- The prize winner will be notified via email.
- The failure by a prize winner to claim the prize before 5pm 27 September 2016 will result in their prize being forfeited.
- We will not be liable for any loss, damage or injury (including but not limited to any indirect or consequential loss) suffered or incurred by you (or any other person) as a result of or in connection with the competition or any prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- We reserve the right, in our sole discretion and at any time, to replace or amend these terms or to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition.
- You authorise us to collect and hold personal information, to be used to conduct the competition and for future promotional purposes (you will be signed up to our Life & Style Blog mailing list). You understand that you have a right of access to, and may request correction of, personal information held by us about you, which you may exercise by contacting us at email@example.com. Failure to provide the personal information requested on the entry form will result in the entry being invalid.
- The Promoter is EziBuy Limited, Level 4, The Textile Centre, 1 Kenwyn Street, Parnell, Auckland 1052, New Zealand. Tel 0508 500 500 (from within NZ) or 1800 148 148 (from within Australia). ABN 13 398 168 301. Authorised under permit numbers: NSW: LTPM/16/05851; ACT: TP 16/05851