The Last McAdam by Holly Ford is the type of book that delivers on expectations.
It offers a will-they-won’t-they romance between the protagonist, Tess, and the object of her affection, Nate. Ford has a formula to her novels and The Last McAdam continues this pattern.
A strong independent woman comes into a situation as an outsider. She must prove herself to the locals and demonstrate her worth. All the while trying to come to terms with her feelings over a man. This man too fits Fords formula as he can be described as a diamond in the rough. Together they are perfect and they just need to overcome misconceptions they have about each other, and it is here where the story lies.
The Last McAdam takes place in the high country of Broken Creek, a fictitious farm in the South Island of New Zealand. Ford does well to describe the land where the novel is set as well as the specifics of managing a farm, a major element to the narrative. This is where Ford excels in her writing, it relates to her upbringing as she too grew up on a farm in the South Island. Ford’s experiences bring a much needed element of legitimacy to the story, as she successfully creates a believable world where Tess’s story can evolve.
Ford’s main character in The Last McAdam Tess Drummond offers a relatable portrayal of a woman. Tess is shown as a smart woman who knows her job well, but at the cost of a personal life. Ford develops these traits with glimpses of Tess’s younger years and shows how they created the person we meet in this story. Tess’s character is quite a contrast to the men described. She has a nomadic existence whereas the men on the fam have only known Broken Creek. Tess is offered as a breath of fresh air in situation where everything has been the same for years, with many of the characters having grown up together.
Ford has successfully managed to create a world of her own where her stories can develop. The Last McAdam along with Ford’s other books interlink, but in a way that does not require a specific reading order. There are subtle refences to characters in The Last McAdam to earlier novels, which reinforce this community Ford has created. Ford extends Ash’s story from Storms Over Black Peak as we are introduced to Tess at his wedding. Ford has created her world well and her stories don’t have to end with Tess.
The Last McAdam is great book to read over the weekend or on a relaxing holiday. Ford helps the reader to escape into the world of Broken Creek. She has created an idealistic landscape, where the reader can be caught up in the relationships between the characters Tess and Nate, with the knowledge that everything will work out in the end.
If this is a book that you enjoyed, try out her other books such as Blackpeak Station or if you’d like to read an extract first click here.
We have 10 x copies of The Last McAdam by Holly Ford to giveaway! It’s easy to win, just sign up to our Life & Style Your Way weekly newsletter to go in the draw. Every week we round up what’s been happening on the blog – from homeware edits, seasonal dressing and fashion trends you need to know about. It’s a great way to stay informed with what we’ve been up to!
Having trouble signing up? Send through your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
JOIN THE BOOK CLUB – ANYONE CAN JOIN!
Once you’ve finished reading The Last McAdam, join our conversation! We’ve listed 5 questions below that you can answer. Anyone is able to participate by commenting on this blog post, or by using the hashtag #easyezireads on social media.
Book Club Questions:
- Did you find the story engaging? and how so?
- How has the past shaped the characters lives?
- How was the weather used as a plot device?
- Did you related to some of the characters? – In what way?
- Was the ending satisfying?
Let us know what you thought of ‘The Last McAdam’ by Holly Ford in the comments below or comment on social media with the hashtag #easyezireads
Are you looking for more books to read? Check out our previous Easy Reads Book Club books here.
Competition Terms & Conditions
– Information produced by us on how to enter the competition and prizes for the competition form part of these terms. By entering the competition, you are deemed to accept these terms.
– Entry is open to all Australian and New Zealand residents, except employees or immediate family members of employees of the EziBuy Group.
– To enter the draw to win one of ten copies of ‘The Last McAdam’ by Holly Ford let us know your name and email address by completing our entry form on Life & Style Your Way. By completing the entry form you are signing up to our newsletter.
– Competition ends at midnight [AEST / NZT] 18 May 2017.
– 10 prize winners will be randomly selected by EziBuy based on chance on 19 May 2017.
– 10 x prize winners will receive the book via post.
– Our determination of the prize winners will be final and binding, and no correspondence or other communication will be entered into.
– Delivery of the prize within New Zealand or Australia will be free of charge.
– Prizes are not transferable, exchangeable nor redeemable for cash or credit note.
– The prize winner will be notified via email.
– The failure by a prize winner to claim the prize before 5pm 23 May 2017 will result in their prize being forfeited.
– We will not be liable for any loss, damage or injury (including but not limited to any indirect or consequential loss) suffered or incurred by you (or any other person) as a result of or in connection with the competition or any prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
– We reserve the right, in our sole discretion and at any time, to replace or amend these terms or to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition.
– You authorise us to collect and hold personal information, to be used to conduct the competition and for future promotional purposes. You understand that you have a right of access to, and may request correction of, personal information held by us about you, which you may exercise by contacting us at email@example.com. Failure to provide the personal information requested on the entry form will result in the entry being invalid.
– The Promoter is EziBuy Limited, Level 4, The Textile Centre, 1 Kenwyn Street, Parnell, Auckland 1052, New Zealand. Tel 0508 500 500 (from within NZ) or 1800 148 148 (from within Australia). ABN 13 398 168 301. Authorised under permit numbers: NSW: LTPM/15/00633; ACT: TP 15/06333.
See Holly Ford’s website here for more information about her and her other novels.