Occasions as special as your daughter’s wedding don’t come along too often, so it’s an event that warrants a particularly special mother of the bride outfit. You want to look your best but still allow your girl to be the star of the show.
The reality is though, that in the lead up to the big day, finding a new outfit is one stress you can likely do without. And let’s be honest, traditional mother-of-the-bride outfits can feel a little stuffy and uninspiring.
The good news is – a summer wedding gives you the perfect opportunity to inject colour and fun into your outfit. And with some clever coordination and accessorising, you can create a versatile outfit that you’ll be able to pull out again for all your summer events.
Finding a new frock shouldn’t be a headache, so here are some basic do’s and don’ts for dressing for a summer wedding:
● Have fun with colour – summer weddings afford for bright colours like turquoise, melon, coral and lemon.
● Express your own personal style – don’t feel like you have to conform to traditional MOTB looks.
● Exchange fascinators or headpieces for a glamorous wide-brimmed sunhat.
● Choose cool and comfortable fabrics – avoid anything too tight-fitting for outdoor weddings so you’re not conscious about overheating.
● Wear stylish sandals or wedges instead of heels – you’ll be more comfortable (and last longer on the dance floor!) and won’t have to worry about getting your heel stuck in the lawn (trust me, a MOTB with a sprained ankle is the last thing your daughter needs).
● Choose an elegant wrap or pashmina – it’ll keep the sun off your shoulders if you’re outdoors, and will come in handy when the evening cools off.
● Be hindered by tradition. There are a few old-fashioned thoughts floating around that you might feel inclined to follow, such as matching the bridesmaids or following the theme of the wedding. Talk to the bride if you feel uncertain, but let your personality and style shine through your outfit too. Seriously, no will will notice if you match the napkins!
● Wear white. This is the bride’s big day and you’ll only attract the wrong kind of attention for your outfit by trying to match her!
● Wear black. However, if you simply don’t feel comfortable with colour and you’re finding it hard to avoid black, then accessorise with colour or bling to lift and brighten your outfit.
● Go for style over comfort. A stunning dress doesn’t have to cost a bomb; there are plenty of cheap formal dresses available. But the secret to looking stylish and confident is to find a frock that best suits your body shape – e.g. pear shaped, hourglass, rectangle – so it flatters in all the right places.
Finding the perfect mother-of-the-bride dress might be new territory for you, so it can be helpful to look online. Stores will often categorise their outfits into appropriate suggestions that will get you inspired. Be daring with colours this summer, but most of all, find something cool and comfortable to take to from the ceremony through to the celebration!
Tip: Dianne, a recent Mother of the Bride and also works at the EziBuy head office gives great advice: “Don’t forget to breathe! Don’t worry if little things go wrong, no one is going to notice”
Do you have a Mother of the Bride Outfit you’d like to share with us? Do you have any tips and tricks for the big day?
Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need.