Congratulations! Since you’re reading this, you’ve probably just found out you’re pregnant, or you’ve had your baby and you’re needing a wardrobe refresh! Babies!! I do love them 🙂
Having a baby changes everything! Your life, your sleep, but also your body. Now that you’re growing a little person inside you you might be realising that your old clothes no longer fit – your hips and tummy might be growing, your breasts might be too! Our bodies are crazy in that they can accommodate life inside them, but it’s also frustrating when you look at your wardrobe and realise nothing fits!
Insert: Maternity wear. Stylish, beautiful, maternity wear to make you feel your womanly best!
Depending on what you want out of maternity wear, you can’t go past a few key pieces to add to your wardrobe, mixed in with what you already have. Here are some tips I think you’ll want to know when choosing your maternity wear, and three key pieces I think you’ll want to add to your wardrobe!
TOP TIPS by Sophie on choosing maternity wear:
- The reality is, you’ll be wearing your maternity pieces most days. They get used a lot because they are often the only things you’ll have that will fit once you get so big! Go for quality that you can wash and wear and wash and wear, and don’t feel bad about investing in clothes for this season of your life (and if you have future children, you’ll have something to put on straight away!)
- You may be wearing these clothes for a good while (I’m a little embarrassed to say I was in my maternity jeans for a year and a half!) so think about how they can work for a few weather seasons to get a lot of wear out of them!
- Do you plan on breastfeeding? Make sure your breasts are easily accessible; can you pull your top up, or your dress down?
- Don’t look past a pair of maternity pants. They are heaven for a stretching belly.
- If you’re going to hospital to have your baby, take maternity pants with you! Your tummy will still be big after baby for a little while! It sounds silly, but a few people have made that mistake!
TOP 3 Maternity pieces I think you’ll need::
- Maternity pants! If you’ve been braving your own “normal” pants with a hair tie to attach the buttons together, ditch it girl! Once you get a big band on the top of your pants you wont look back. They are comfortable, and they stretch with you. You can get small bands, or big bands that go over top of your belly. Personally I prefer the big bands, they also double as belly warmth in the winter 😉 Check out these cool Over the Bump Pants or these Navy Chino’s.
- Maternity dress! You’ll want to have a dress on hand that is designed for your bump and will make you look good. For weekends, date nights, birthdays and parties. A well fitting dress never hurt anybody. Check out these lovely dresses like the Maternity Wrap Dress or the Midi Dress.
- Sweats! Maybe it was just me, but I felt like almost everyone I know has seen me in my PJs now after visiting me and my babies when they were first born! Some cosy sweats to slip on like these Bonds Hoodie and Bonds Track pants would have saved me many awkward “just got out of bed” conversations.
Leave a comment and let me know about what maternity wear you couldn’t go with out!
See you next time,
Love from Sophie
You can find Sophie blogging about motherhood, babies and crafts on her blog Sophie Slim