If, like so many of us, the prospect of the bleak winter months fills you with dread, take heart. For what is a change of season but the perfect opportunity to update your wardrobe?
Simply choosing even one or two key new pieces – a chic pair of pants, some gorgeous knitwear – will instantly freshen up your look. (And if it takes more than a couple of new season’s pieces for you to face down those freezing days, hey, we won’t judge.)
So with this in mind, we’ve compiled a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity and ensure you brave the winter months in style. Think of it as the busy woman’s survival guide for the season.
Winter survival tip #1: Think layers.
• Layering is key to effortless winter dressing. Get more mileage out of summery blouses by slipping slim-fitting long-sleeved tops in complementary shades underneath. For a more striking effect, use a contrasting pop of colour for your base layer and take the look instantly from functional to fashionable. Consider stocking up on basic tops like the Capture Long Sleeve Layering Top in a selection of colours. They provide a sleek extra layer when you need it, and they’re just as stylish worn on their own when the weather warms up.
• Channel a Parisian vibe with a long-sleeved striped knit top layered under a smart blazer or trench: the Capture V-Neck or Capture Stripe Jumper are perfect examples of this trend. Worn with jeans and trainers, they’re casual enough for the weekend supermarket run, but are dressed up so easily with a jacket, slim pants and an elegant pair of shoes. Look for styles in heavier weight cotton or fine wool to add warmth without bulk.
• An elegant blouse in a timeless print is an ideal layering piece – especially one with a slightly longer silhouette, like a patterned tunic or the Capture Pleat Blouse. Highlight the print and play with proportions by pairing this with an on-trend cropped jumper in a complementary neutral shade. Complete the look with skinny pants and ankle boots. Effortless style? Check.
Winter survival tip #2: Knitwear needn’t be dull.
• Bulky jumpers, begone: the frump factor doesn’t feature in contemporary knitwear designs. This season’s knitwear is characterised by clever details like fringing or ruffles: both the Emerge Tassel Cardigan and the Capture European Ruffle Cardigan use these techniques to stunning effect.
• Knitwear’s not limited to tops. Slouchy, tapered leg pants are one of the coolest looks this season, and if they’re made from a light, warm, knit fabric, so much the better. Swap your heavy old trackie pants for the Capture Merino Pant. Comfort and an instant style update: what’s not to love?
• It’s so easy to slip into a comfortable rotation of pants, boots and jerseys over winter – but let’s not forget the dress. The fitted silhouette of a knit dress puts paid to the belief that there’s nothing sexy about knitwear: pair one of these sleek numbers with heels and tights and your date night outfit’s sorted. Dress it down with ankle boots and it’s work-appropriate too. We love the versatile Capture Cable Dress.
Winter survival tip #3: Boots are not your only option for winter footwear.
• Sure, a good pair of boots in a timeless style is a winter wardrobe staple. But any new pair of shoes is also a great way to take a look from last season to now. The athleisure trend is totally current, and you can nail the look with a pair of glammed up sports shoes like the Next Leather Trainers or the Next Black Mesh Runners. These are cool enough to take you from the gym to the café afterwards (you’ve earned a treat, right?). Skater-style shoes also add a bit of street cred to an otherwise conventional jeans and sneakers combo: try the Emerge Leather Perforated Sneakers in edgy metallic silver.
• Ballet flats are the perfect combination of comfort and fashion – who knew flat shoes could be so chic? Look for stylish details like quilted leather (very Chanel) or sweet bows – the Capture Bendable Ballet is a great everyday option. Or sharpen up the look with a pointed toe like the Pointed Leather Flat, which features a cool scalloped edge as well.
Winter survival tip #4: It’s all about accessories.
• Sometimes, the right accessory is all that’s required to take a look to a whole new level. A scarf or, if you’re feeling adventurous, a cape in the season’s hot colour or print is a great way to stay current without buying into a trend completely. Animal prints in earthy neutrals are always popular: the Accessories Animal Scarf or the Sara Knit Cape are a great way to add an edgy detail to your look without overdoing it. We’re thinking Kate Moss, not Kardashian.
And now it’s up to you. Ditch the polarfleece: hibernation is no longer an option. Cast a critical eye over your wardrobe, arm yourself with this survival guide and get shopping for whatever it takes for you to face winter head on – and look utterly fabulous at the same time.
The Latest Winter Looks
Shop the Emerge V Neck Tunic, Emerge Belted Coat, Emerge Layered Shirt, Emerge Diagonal Jumper, Emerge Zip Detail Knit, Emerge Chevron Jumper, Emerge Cable Roll Neck, Capture Crossover Back Top, and Capture Longline Cardigan.