Do you ever wonder how certain people always seem to look good no matter what they wear and whatever they are accessorising with?
They could be rocking just a tee shirt and jeans, but the outfit still comes off as effortlessly stylish. While you might think it’s a designer brand, the aid of a stylist, or the luxury of a bottomless wardrobe, there’s another piece to the puzzle that can make or break an outfit. The art of accessorising is key to getting the most out of your wardrobe and pulling off the latest trends and styles with ease.
Putting the right accessories together is a basic fashion skill that separates well-dressed people from those who look just a little bit bland. Once you’ve got it down, you’ll always look great in whatever you wear. The best part? You can find incredible accessories at any budget, so it’s a great way to stretch your wardrobe and save money while doing so.
It begins with picking out pieces that express your personality. Are you someone who likes to make your message heard? You’ll probably be caught with statement pieces and bold symbol jewellery. Or are you more about understated class, and prefer pieces that blend in with your outfit, allowing your clothes to speak the volumes? Accessorising for your personality is really all about choosing pieces that you like and feel are a good reflection of who you are. It’s also about choosing pieces that complement your wardrobe, because your clothes are often another outlet for expressing your personality. Whatever it is you’re trying to portray, accessories are a helpful way to get across your message.
Accessories aren’t limited to jewellery items. Think festival fashion to get inspired – belts, accessories for your hair, sunglasses, scarves, the lot! Accessories can so easily change an outfit meaning you can wear the same clothing item time and time again without having anyone notice because each time it looks completely different.
Here are a few of our favourite tips:
1. Earrings are a great way to dress up an outfit. They draw attention to your face and can add a little sparkle for the evening. Because earrings come in so many different varieties, subtle and bold, there is almost always something that will go with your outfit.
2. Long necklaces are a hot trend at the moment and create long vertical lines which make you look taller and leaner. Have fun with long beaded necklaces or chains. However, be sure not to overdo it. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. One long necklace is usually sufficient.
3. Be careful with proportions. If you’re wearing an outfit that is big and voluminous, scale back on the accessories. If you’re wearing something a little more sleek, you can go bigger with your other bits and pieces. Think a patterned clutch bag and a bold chunky ring, or let your shoes shine with a plain dress and coloured shoes.
4. The more basic the outfit, the bolder your accessories can be. Amazing outfits are all about balance. For example, pair a simple tee shirt and jeans with polka dot flats, a long sparkly pendant necklace and a few layered bangles in different types of metals. Accessories add interest and help to change an outfit up.
5. Don’t be afraid to mix and match materials. Different textures create a fabulous vintage look, so don’t be afraid to try a few different pieces. You might come up with some combos that you love.
6. Add pops of colour. If you’ve just realized you’re wearing an all black ensemble and you want to inject a bit more personality, create a pop of color with jewellery, a hairpiece or your favourite pair of extravagant shoes.
Now that you’re an accessory expert, it’s time to whip out the hat rack, fill up your belt hooks, and top up those jewellery boxes. Accessorising is a really fun way to stay on trend, express your most unique and special traits and keep your outfits fresh and exciting!
Shop the above looks: Capture Parka Coat, Next Denim Stripe Scarf, Emerge Twist Hem Tee, Next Open Knit Snood, Capture Fit & Flare Dress, Next Gold Coloured Delicate Layered Necklace, Capture Pocket Shirt and Next Gold Coloured Necklace with Resin Detail