I’m back with a shoe-related DIY, and this time it’s for a dust bag for your favourite footwear. Dust bags are great for separating worn shoes from clean folded clothing in your suitcase, for storing emergency flats in your handbag for long days or nights out and even the most obvious – protection from dust when stored and not in use.
Now for a skills disclaimer, let me tell you that I have average sewing and craft skills. If you can do a basic running stitch, you’re good to go. It doesn’t have to be perfect – it just needs to be secure.
You will need the following:
Needle and thread
1. Size up your fabric. Now would be a good time to get your actual shoe to measure for its length. Your line doesn’t need to be perfect but leave some allowances for the top and sides for when you flip the bag inside out. Here I roughly measured one shoe dust bag I already had but for specific measurements I used: approximately 15 inches /38 centimetres in height and 10 inches / 25 centimetres in width, then around 35 inches / 91 centimetres of black ribbon. You might require one dust bag per shoe if you’re making them for boots like these Next Clean Block Heel Ankle Boots or these Next Randed Wedge Ankle Boots.
2. Trim the sides and create a dotted line as a guide. Measure how much ribbon you would like to use for the drawstring closure.
3. Time to get stitching. I went over the sides twice to make it more secure.
4. Press the fold where the ribbon goes.
5. Secure with pins (or needles) and stitch. Make sure the ribbon is already in place.
6. Flip inside out and tidy up any loose ends, especially the gap for the ribbon closure.
Some final tips:
Ask friends and family for spare fabric or buy off cuts from your local fabric store.
Try a printed fabric!
Don’t limit the uses just for shoes. These drawstring type bags can be used for storing almost anything you like.
Do you like DIYs just as much as I do? Feel free to check out my post on DIY Boot Shapers, especially if you are putting away your winter boots and need ideas on how to store them to keep their shape.
For more fun fashion posts, check out my blog New Shoes in Town.
Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need.